Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Its been awhile.

I wrote a blog on Monday night and it got deleted and i was tired so i didn't rewrite it.

Monday night during orientation, we talked about the work we're doing in the lower 9th. We were told that everyone was thankful for the work we were doing, but to be aware that the work may be fruitless. It may still be bull dozed. We are making a statement. They will rebuild if we give them a chance. But in the end, the government has its way.

Tuesday we were assigned to do grounds again and i freaked out. I acted out by saying are you serious, we're an able body crew who has gutting expirience, put us out there. Then to top it off, the drunk/druggie kids were sent to a new house. Sorry, I'm not ok with that. Thats when i had my first break down. I cried so hard for the people of New Orleans, for the 9th ward. Its so hard to stay strong when you are helping them deal with their fate. They have no secure future. And i want to get out there and do what I can do. I want to be doing work. Not sitting around. Finally i got to be on a crew to clean up a house, finish nail pulling and getting the last bits of sheetrock. It was a good days work. And I am glad i was able to do it, because other wise i think i would be ready to go because i feel some what useless.

Yesterday was a great time though. The people i worked with from NY are awesome. They are a great group with great hearts. We had a blast hijacking an ice-cream truck and eating some really awesome ice cream.

Today we have formed a crew the funkin' ponies. We're excited and we got a house to gut. Unfortunately we are waiting for our ride which is now over an hour late so we're just sunning ourselves on the porch. Some how i need the patience to deal with this. I know i am doing what i can with the resources I have and i can't be that mad, but I am and that just makes me so much more frustrated. Its a vicious cycle right now.

Last night i did security with Mike. We met a guy named Barry and he's recently homeless. He surived the storm with his family, and just recently moved back here to NOLA from his evacuation desitnation Houston. However he is a crack head and mess up with his family. He is dedicated to changing his life and making a commitment to christ and he happened to meet me which was really cool. I left him a bible at the desk and I'm excited that my "thursday night" ministry has followed me here. Please pray for Barry on Thursday night, that he may find a place to live, over come his addiction and come to Christ.

We're hoping to head to the Bayou and work with the HOMA department of Common Ground. They do work on an Indian reservation that was destroyed so thats in the works. It should be awesome.

Wish List:
strength
patience
understanding
compassion
calamine lotion to make my 150+ mosquito bites stop
shorts
tank tops
cookies
a shower that i can shave in


There alot of new people and that is awesome. I have met some amazing people and I am so happy for that.

0 comments: