Monday, October 9, 2006

Gentle Dental, Sinning in your head and birthdays!

So, I finally have insurance. YES. Exciting. I can go to every thing I need to. I already got my eyes checked, I have a doctors appointment Thursday, and I've gone to the dentist. Its wonderful, really, to have the freedom to really get a full check up and be told, "healthy" - especially to me, girl with 1,000 diseases.

So far, I have a serious stigmatism, and desperately need glasses (that's not new news to me!),
I have 15 cavities that need to be filled asap or else they will turn to needed root canals,
and I have a seriously impacted wisdom tooth that needs to come out asap.
WONDERFUL.

Last Thursday, I made an appointment to get my eyes checked and to start getting the cavities taken care of. I was planning on coming to Bible Study on Thursday blind and mute. :) When I called the dentist to confirm and clarify the co-pay, I was told it would $230 for one tooth. At which I laughed and cancelled the much needed appointment. $230 is not in my budget. $23 is not in my budget, but I can squeeze it in there. I started calling BU and Tufts. Just to see the prices. I got some ideas.

Today, Monday, I had my cleaning scheduled. I was stuck on the "t" so I got to the appointment about 15 minutes late, for which I apologized. It's not like me to be mean. The hygienist then said, "I knew if I didn't say anything, she wouldn't have shown up, damn it." I sat down and within a few minutes, the hygienist came out and said "Susan, you can come with me". So I followed her. I sat down and she put the drool bib on me, then started looking at my x-rays and said, "you need to get these filled right away." I explained that I knew that, but $230 was just too much right now and I'd have to hold off. She apparently found that offensive and went in to a whole thing about how I need them done other wise it will be more than whatever the insurance is. And I said I understand, I just can't afford that right now, if it were lower, sure I could do it, but when I called on Wednesday to confirm, I was told $230 and promptly cancelled the appointment. She got very angry and was re-explaining things. I said, I was not about to argue with someone, I just came in to get my teeth cleaned, I know about the cavities and will take care of them when I can. That was the last straw for her, she walked out of the office for a good 20 minutes.

She came back and said that apparently the office didn't know how much it was, so they said $230 as a standard fee. It was actually $10 per cavity (which is wonderful) and then she told me that I had no right not getting my teeth fixed if that truly is the price. I explained the story to her again and then said, I would like to get my teeth cleaned today, if I have to, I'll go make another appointment (mean yes, but true). She cleaned my teeth and said she was impressed by them, especially since I hadn't been to the dentist in so long. She walked me out when I was done and told the front to make sure they put a note to never put me with her again. What a lovely way to start the day!

Saturday night was girls night in and wonderful. A few girls came over and as girls do, we talked about boys. I love talking about boys! But it was most fantastic when we talked about the boys we all knew and one of the girls used the most fantastic phrase ever.
"Back off ladies, that one's mine. I've sinned too many times with him in my head"
Oh yes, That is what was said. How lovely and descriptive! Now, there is no way that I can say I've never sinned with someone, let alone in my head (sometimes, its like an "unrated indie movie" in there! CRAZY). I just truly love the fact that the phrase was actually said.

After the boys conversation we moved on to sangria, mac & cheese, salad and pumkin cookies (worth 4 whole points each). The night was quite unfit for those attempting weight watchers, but really quite pleasant. I am sure our neighbors enjoyed us singing every word to Annie as we watched it with wonder. I am delighted in the number of words we all remember.

I'm sorry for the lack of posting. A lot has been going on at work that shouldn't be blogged about and stuff with me that I am not quite ready to blog about. I am still around, alive and kicking. :)



Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Amanda, Kayla, Chris and Brendan! Happy Birthday to you!!!

I know it was over the course of 3 days, but Happy Birthday folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait...I thought ladies were pure of heart and only talked about weddings and babies and such. You're encroaching on man-sin territory!

suzib said...

Honey, i am not encroaching. I am already there... it's just the rest of the crew catching up :)

Anonymous said...

must...take shower...immediately...