Friday, July 20, 2007

hungry, so hungry.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

We have been re-studying the Sermon on the Mount in bible study. Every week, we get in to heated, intellectual discussions revolving around how we interpret different verses. Usually, they are hard to interpret. We have all these discussions about what does poor in spirit mean? or does meek mean weak or quite, docile? Do you have to be all these things? or are they some type of check list in life... something we hope to achieve before we enter through the gates.

For me, some of these verses, seem almost too simple to question or interpret. I have a hard time speaking up in group because I don't always feel comfortable, or confident in my response. However, when it comes to this specific verse, I am 100% confident in how I feel.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

In my head and heart, I define righteousness as a synonym for justice. Other definitions include bring in accordance with virtue or morality, adhering to moral principles, the quality or state of being just or rightful, morally upright; without guilt or sin, etc....

This verse to me is almost the backbone of who I am. I believe that those of us, who seek for righteousness, who seek justice in a world that seems upside, in heaven, will be satisfied, will be fulfilled because the wrongs will be righted. Everyone will be on one playing field.

What is strange to me, is that this idea of being hungry, starving even for righteousness or justice is foreign to most people. Daily, I hunger for food, but never do I hunger for food as much I hunger for "the right thing" to be done today. I seek the good every day and am defeated by the bad, by the unjust, the immoral.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.


We were asked at the end of study, what areas in our character do we long to be more righteous and what areas of society to we long to see righteousness - and how do we achieve those? For me, I wanted to answer that in my character, I lack the faith side of righteousness. I seek social justice always. I want to fix the worlds injustices, I want to right the wrongs.

And I have always wanted to do that. It's just who I am. And to my knowledge, its how most people I know are. Or so I thought. I was shocked to hear one member of the group say that his initial reaction to most things, is to think of himself, how it affects him (will it benefit him? what would he get out of it). I was blown away that a group dedicated to working on the Common, forming relationships with those who are most poor in the city, we had members who thought this way. I could not, and still can not wrap my head around it.

I think that's when I realized how different I was. I realized that I see things completely different from most people out there. My initial response to almost anything is how can I fix it? What can I give to make it better for this person, cause, problem, etc...? How there are people who don't feel that on a constant basis is so foreign to me, so "out there". Why is compassion not their first response? Why do they not feel always compelled to do things for other, and place themselves second? What makes me do that?

Despite my lacking in faithful righteousness, I feel as though my works filled with selflessness, love and compassion perhaps make up for that. At times I feel less of a Christian because when I do things for others, I am not doing it because I am a Christian. Instead, I am one who does, and happens to be faithful. My faith does not bring me to do this - or does it?

Our pastor commented on being faithfully righteous. Because we are Christians, because we believe, we are already "right" with God. I am assured, through Christ, that in Heaven, I will be satisfied from the emptiness, defeat and hunger I feel now. And until then, I will continue to hunger and thirst for the earthly righteousness deserved by all, because in my heart of hearts, that is what we are called to do.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

-.-

Anonymous said...

Amen!

SRH said...

I like thinking of the satisfaction of justice. I think your musings are good. I would add though, that I thought it was refreshingly honest and open that it was shared that the thing that they wanted to work on, was an initial thought of selfishness. I wish more people were open about where they fall short. . . .

Anonymous said...

I think your words are really admirable, and that you have a really beautiful desire to see things righted. It's one of the things I appreciate most about you. I do think, though, that there are some people for whom being "compassionate" is how they define themselves, that while some people think of themselves as smart and others as pretty and others as friendly, etc, some people, when they look in the mirror, see compassion--they're doing wonderful things, but they're doing it subconsciously because they get something out of it, because they like that little bit of superiority it gives them over other people who are "less compassionate," because without it they don't know who they are, etc. I think a lot of times, the person who thinks of himself first and the "compassionate" person have a lot more in common than they realize, especially if one person's gift really is outreach while another person's gift is, say, financial generosity or teaching or something that isn't as outwardly noticeable...I don't know, just a thought.

1telos said...

Thanks for the post!

Here is a way of looking at the Sermon that emphasizes the structure to clear up some of the puzzles.

Real righteousness is just like it has always been; justice and mercy humbly before God (Micah 6:8)

http://telosxelot.blogspot.com/2008/03/describing-whole-sermon-including-psalm.html