Tuesday, April 17, 2007

back in starbucks and it's still raining.

I'm studying again. We've got a big test on Wednesday on respiration and photosynthesis.... I have no clue how I'm going to do, but I'm trying.

In other news, Marian and I had an interesting conversation about the recent events at VTech. Events like these, at least for me, make one stop and think about their overall safety. In a world where we go out about our business as though we are impenetrable, reality can smack you hard in the face. Imagine sitting in class and being shot or watching classmates go through agony. The thing that affects me most is that its not just school any more. Its buses in Dorchester, buildings in NYC, subway stations... It's true that you can't live you're life in a hypothetical bubble, trying to hide from the danger we call this world, but I think people need to start becoming more aware of their surroundings.

How did a foreign national get 2 guns in the first place? I don't think I would know the first place to go to get a gun. How does a person go through life so miserable that their only alternative is to shoot up people? My biology professor noticed i was depressed and said something, do i just have a more aware professor, someone willing to step out of his role as educator and make sure his student was doing alright. Clearly there is no way to pinpoint one reason for this tragedy, but i do think the trail is interesting and something that each of us can look at in our daily lives.

How do you know that kid that sits next to you in class, the quiet one, isn't some crazy kid, and all that needs to happen to stop anything is for you to say Hi. Share a little respect to the homeless guy on the street, give him eye contact and maybe a smile and go on your separate ways. It won't hurt you, it might in fact start to make you a better person. We're not asking for giant things here, but the cliche, if everyone does a little bit - we can change a lot. Step back and think about it next time you pass judgement, next time you get uncomfortable, next time you feel sorry for someone, start to think about what you can do differently. Maybe by the time we have children, these shootings, these terrible events will be something in the history books. I once thought that way when I learned about Kent State, but then Columbine happened, and my world crashed, but it shaped me.

I know, the hippie in me has escaped and is running rampant. Peace and Love and all that bull shit. Just do it ok. The world could be a better place if you tried.

On a side note, i am on season 10 of friends. I am almost done, and will need something new to move onto, any suggestions? Also, could folks keeps their ears open for a cappella group opportunities, i am really antsy to get back in to one.

4 comments:

SRH said...

Sounds like you've just described the plot to pay it forward :).

Anonymous said...

Kent State and Columbine were very different situations. Maybe you should check that history book again.

suzib said...

I know they are different situations. Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

I recommend All Creatures Great and Small. That way you can either watch the series, or read the books. The worst incident that I know of at my Alma Matter was massive food poisoning. 200 people lost their lunch that day, including me.