Thursday, December 25, 2008

A holiday tale...

My good friend D wanted to find her husband the perfect Christmas gift. He had been asking and asking like a child for the Nintendo Wii. D had no interest in getting the Wii, but due to her extreme good nature and love for her man, she decided this is what she would buy.

A decent day of work was spent surveying the internet and finding the greatest deals on the Wii. Where was the best place to buy it, was it in stock, could we get it today. It was a group event and triumph when D finally exclaimed that she had found it and purchased it.

The next step was sneaking it in to the house. She brought it in to work and we found the perfect box for it. The Wii just slid in to the supply box like it was made for it. So D got it home by telling a fib that she started bringing home boxes to send gifts to E's family in Finland.

The time had passed by and it was now Christmas eve. We were all gathered at Cladaugh's house for dinner. A phenomenal dinner at that. E began to tell me how proud he was of his gifts for D. I convinced him to tell me what he got her. First he got her a beautifully framed picture of the two of them. Next, he got her 4 gift certificates for Horseback riding (one of D's passions) and finally, got her the Nintendo Wii. I burst out laughing. I said "seriously, the wii?" And he then argued that yes, it was something he wanted, but also something they could all share. I told them before dinner ended that I wanted a phone call immediately following the opening of gifts the next morning.

At 11:30, my phone rang. It was E calling to call me an asshole for not telling him what D got him. It was a very entertaining phone call, where I laughed almost the entire time! D said that when she opened his gift, she started to even cry! Poor E didn't even know what to do, he tried to distract her with the riding lessons... but alas to no avail. Poor D and all that hard work!

In the end it all works out... it is an entertaining story that they can tell for years to come. And of course, it also was quite entertaining for me and the rest of the group that knew.


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! I hope Santa was good to you!

0 comments: