Saturday, April 19, 2008

Day 2

Today was a loooong day, yet technically the same length of any other day. We left Lexington around 8. We first got our complimentary breakfast consisting of English muffins, corn flakes and various juices. There was a slight incident when we saw the housekeeping staff digging through the garbage picking out all the Styrofoam cups, just like the ones we were drinking out of. I was quite disgusted, but Alicia just kept on drinking her juice… who knows where our cups had been!

I took the first leg of driving. From Lexington to Nashville, it was about 7 hours. For a good part of the first 4 it rained. It was icky grey and just did not look nice.

Alicia slept, which was really good. As much as I’d like to say I loved driving through there, I can’t say it… it’s all the same, cows and farms, and more cows, and some chickens. I guess I should be thankful we’re not driving through Kansas.

We stopped around 1 at a rest stop just outside of Knoxville and grabbed lunch. We then called our local tour guide, Casey, in Nashville to let her know we were only 2 hours or so away. She seemed so very nice on the phone, and we were so excited for Nashville.



It was sprinkling a bit when we pulled off the sketchy exit in to Nashville. It reminded me a lot of getting of I-10 in NOLA, where you think you’ve just made a terrible mistake, but really, just keep going, and it will be fine. We parked in a garage, and that is when the fun began.

We wanted to wear our going out clothes… but we had no place to change, so we changed in the car. I am SURE the security guard could see us and enjoyed the show. We headed out the door, and outside, where it had begun raining harder and our adorable outfits were just not appropriate for the weather. So we headed back inside to grab sweatshirts and change again. Finally we made it out towards the ice cream parlor because it was the only place we could find with a bathroom. With a strawberry shake and a mango tropical smoothie we were on our way to Casey. She lives right in downtown Nashville, the equivalent of say living on Tremont Street or in Times Square. Her apartment was GEORGEOUS!!!! And she was so nice!

on our own, couldn’t afford, and wouldn’t find easily in Boston. It was fun though. We found some cute things, but at least for me, my budget doesn’t have space for a 100-dollar dress rightShe took us around to some boutiques which were places that we would probably never go in now. We headed back to the “big streets” of Nashville, grabbed dinner and a cute bar place where we had the most ditzy waitress ever, think Ursula on Mad About You.

We then went shopping in the touristy stores around and I don’t know that I have laughed that hard in a really long time! There are a lot of lame yet funny things around, including Alicia and my new man, Elivs!
Alicia and I wanted cowboy boots, and we found a store with a sign that says, “buy 1 pair get 2 pair free” – which says to us, buy one pair of boots get the second pair free. Well, apparently it’s buy one pair get 2 pairs free. So we got each a pair and one for her sister. We headed back to the car to toss all the stuff with us and let me put on my boots and then headed out for some good old Nashville Night Life. We went to the a place called the Stage.


There were a mix of people at the stage, really hip 20 year olds and some not so hip everyone elses. There were men in cowboy hats and boots, and there was a fabulous country singer (who wore really tight jeans, just like a good country singer should). Despite the southern charm rumor, we experienced the same creepiness as we do up North. Boys trying to hit on you by running their hands all over you. Get the message boys; in a cowboy hat and boots you are still being creepy!

We headed out a little later towards Jackson to meet up with Lindsay (Alicia’s sister). That drive I have to say thank god I was not the driver. I was barely able to keep my eyes open. Thankfully Alicia got us here safe and sound.

Tomorrow, we rest for the day and head to Morrow, Georgia (half way to Savannah).


0 comments: